Heights, on Church Road, facing Harper's Lane, stands where Halliwell Hall once
did. Much of the information available on Halliwell Hall is contained in the
diary of Roger Dewhurst, who lived there between 1716 & 1806 and was
virtually the Squire of Halliwell during the last part of the 18th
Century. He was a magistrate, treasurer of the Bolton & Nightingale Turnpike
Trust, (which was responsible for the upkeep of Chorley Old Road and Halliwell
Road), a civil engineer, and an artist. Dewhurst kept diaries and although most
of them have been lost, we have those for the years 1784 to 1786. He lived to a
good age of around 89 years.
on Halliwell Hall, written in 1968
little is known of the history of the Hall, but according to a Mr. Butler, who
once lived in the centre portion, the original building must have been at least
300 years old. Roger Dewhurst (the elder) purchased the Hall and its estate in
1715, a year before his son's birth and lived there until his death in 1728.
Roger Dewhurst the younger, the celebrated captain, lived there until his death
in 1806, when the Hall was inherited by James Dewhurst later disposed of it to
an agent of Richard Ainsworth, and Ainsworth then sold it to Hardcastle.
Hardcastle gave it to Peter Ormrod, a cotton mill owner and banker, who married
his daughter, and virtually rebuilt the hall in the mid 19th Century.
(He also paid for the rebuilding of Bolton Parish Church, which was reopened in
1871). Halliwell Hall was also owned by T.H. Rushton, a governing director of
Dobson & Barlow Ltd. and, for a time, Edward Thwaites, a bleacher, who died